There are several pathways under the Caregiver Program allowing international caregiver professionals to work and settle in Canada through child and old age care jobs. Due to its aging population and low birth rate, there is a high demand for caregiver professionals all over Canada, the trend is likely to continue in the coming years.

There are at present two caregiver pathways or pilot programs allowing caregivers to apply for permanent residence. Applicants also receive temporary work permits while waiting for the outcome of their PR application. The two pilot programs are:

  1. Home Child Care Provider Pilot, and
  2. Home Support Worker Pilot
Each of the pilot programs has an annual limit of 2,750 applicants, and 5,500 applicants in total.

Eligibility requirements

Express Entry has two steps.

  • Work experience: At the time of application, you must have at least 24 months of work experience as caregiver within the last 36 months.
    • The work experience must fall under NOC 4411 or 4412.
    • Accumulated (non-continuous) work experience is accepted.
  • Language: The minimum language requirement is CLB 5.
  • Education: At least 1 year of post-secondary education (ECA required).

Work Permits for Caregivers

  • Category A
    • Applicable for those with less than 24 months of work experience. 
    • Occupation-restricted open work permit. 
    • Valid for up to three years. 
  • Category B
    • Applicable for those with at least 24 months of relevant work experience. 
  • In-Home Caregivers Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) Stream
    • Eligible families can hire foreign caregivers under this stream if they do not find any Canada permanent residents or citizens. 
    • LMIA is required. 
    • The employment must be full-time (at least 30 hours per week).
    • The employment must be in a private household. 
    • Children, seniors and persons with certified medical needs are eligible to receive care. 
    • Employment can be related to the following NOC Codes:
      • NOC 4411: Child care provider, live-in caregiver, nanny
      • NOC 3012: Registered nurse or registered psychiatric nurse
      • NOC 3233: Licensed practical nurse
      • NOC 4412: Attendant for persons with disabilities, home support worker, live-in caregiver, personal care attendant.

Request Quote