Spousal sponsorship program helps you sponsor your spouse to reunite with you in Canada. Depending on where your spouse is at the time submitting the application, it can be Inland or Outland.

Eligibility for Sponsor

  • You are at least 18 years and living in Canada as a Citizen or Permanent Resident
  • Apart from any disability benefits, you are not dependent on any social assistance from any governmental authorities. 
  • You can financially support your spouse in Canada to meet his/her basic needs. 
  • If you failed to pay back any family assistance payments, immigration loans or performance bonds, you could not be a sponsor.

What is Inland Sponsorship?

  • Who should apply? You need to apply for Inland sponsorship if you are a PR or citizen living in Canada, and your spouse is also residing with you with one of the temporary resident permits.
  • Other options during the applicationYour spouse may submit an open work permit application, for working and residing in Canada, while the other application for spousal sponsorship is in process.

What is Outland Sponsorship?

  • Who should apply? If you are in Canada while your spouse is residing outside of Canada, then you need to take the Outland sponsorship pathway.
  • Other options during the applicationAt the time of application processing, your spouse may apply for a Visitor Visa or Temporary Resident Visa and come to Canada.

How to handle refusals of Spousal Sponsorship?

Refusals are not uncommon for spousal sponsorship programs. Handling the refusal depends on whether you applied for inland or outland sponsorship program.
  • Refusal for inland sponsorship: You cannot appeal against the refusal of an inland application. Although it is possible to seek a judicial review; however, that is a time-consuming, expensive and complicated process. Instead, you can easily prepare a stronger application again and reapply with more supporting documentation by addressing the concerns of the previous refusal.
  • Refusal for outland sponsorship: You can appeal to Immigration Appeal Division (IAD) to reconsider the refusal decision. Or, you can choose to reapply with stronger supporting documents.

Request Quote